Another round of heavy rain and high winds are forecasted to begin Tuesday evening and extend for several days, prompting South Bay cities to issue flood alerts and compile resources. Thunderstorms expected through the end of the week could lay several additional inches of rain on top of the pre-soaked region, with widespread flooding and rapid rises in creeks and rivers predicted, along with mud and landslides. Impassible roads, downed trees and power outages are anticipated. A flood zone stretching from the south end of the San Francisco Bay and extending to Gilroy is being monitored particularly closely as rainfall could range from 2-4 inches in the valleys to as much as 10 inches in the mountains.
Here are some resources for residents in San Jose, Santa Clara, and other impacted cities in Santa Clara County. Have a good tip to add? Share it at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Santa Clara County:
Visit the National Weather Service for updates on the latest weather conditions. For County flood preparedness information, visit PrepareSCC.org/Flood. For a complete list of sandbag locations throughout the County, visit https://www.valleywater.org/sandbags. Residents are advised to opt in to AlertSCC, the Santa Clara County emergency alert system. Sign-up at http://bit.ly/2BzQxt0.
- To report weather-related issues in Santa Clara, call (408) 615-3080 (weekday business hours, 8am to 4:30pm) or (408) 615-5640 (after hours and weekends).
- Report power outages to (408) 615-5640. View the power outage preparedness guide here.
- Follow @santaclarapower for power outage updates.
- Filled sandbags are available during the rainy season at The Corporation Yard, 1700 Walsh Ave. Limit 10 bags per residence.
- Monitor the city’s social channels on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for up to date information from the City of San Jose and Valley Water.
- Report blocked drains and other storm-related issues to (408) 794-1900.
- Sand bag distribution sites are located at the City Central Service Yard, 1661 Senter Road at Phalen Avenue and at the Santa Clara Valley Water District Winfield Warehouse, Winfield Boulevard between Blossom Hill Road and Coleman Avenue.
- For more storm preparedness resources and tips, visit http://bit.ly/SJStormPrep.
- For overnight warming centers for the unhoused, call (408) 539-2105 or email email@example.com.