San Jose community centers are offering free, nutritious meals and afternoon snacks for eligible children 18 years and younger through August 12.
Seven San Jose locations are among the approved sites participating in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). The program is expected to serve more than 200 million free meals to children of low-income families throughout the United States this summer.
To receive free meals, families must meet the income guidelines for reduced price meals in the National School Lunch Program, and children must be enrolled at an on-site summer camp in San Jose.
Families whose children receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) California Work Opportunity and Responsibility for Kids, Kinship Guardian Assistance Payment (Kin-GAP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) benefits are also eligible.
List of pick up locations in San Jose:
- Bascom Community Center, 1000 S. Bascom Ave. San José, CA 95128
- Emma Prusch Farm Park, 647 S. King Rd. San José, CA 95116
- Mayfair Community Center, 2039 Kammerer Ave. San José, CA 95116
- Roosevelt Community Center, 901 East Santa Clara St. San José, CA 95116
- Seven Trees Community Center, 3590 Cas Dr. San José, CA 95111
- Welch Park Neighborhood Center, Kenesta Wy. San José, CA 95122
- Starbird Youth Center, 1050 Boynton Ave. San José, CA 95117
Families can pick up lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; and snack from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. daily.
The San Jose Public Library is also participating in a Free Summer Food Program through August 12. Children and teens ages 2-18 and their families can pick up a Grab-n-Go meal option every Monday through Friday from 12 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Educational Park Branch Library and the Tully Community Branch Library.