With COVID-19 infections continuing to spread in Santa Clara County, and with County health officials banning gatherings of more than 1,000 people through at least the end of the month, cities across the West Valley are cancelling and postponing events.
The County saw its first coronavirus-caused death earlier this week, prompting the substantial changes from County Health Officer Dr. Sara Cody, which went into effect at 12 a.m. on Wednesday.
A list of event changes, by West Valley city, is listed below. It is updated as of 2 p.m. on March 11.
The City’s calendar has not been updated with cancelations or postponement as of publication time.
- Block Party Planning (Postponed)
- Coffee Talks (Canceled)
- Cultures of the World – Italy (Canceled)
- Cultures of the World – Japan (Canceled)
- Earth and Arbor Day Festival (Canceled)
- Egg Hunt (Canceled)
- Fit Fest (Postponed)
- <hack> Cupertino (Postponed)
- Holi (Postponed to date certain: May 9, 2020)
- Kid Fit (Postponed)
- NASA Speaker Series (Postponed)
- WAFU Ikebana Society Flower Show (Canceled)
All City-sponsored events are cancelled until further notice.
- Senior Program – Canceled until further notice as of March 4, 2020
- Tiny Tots Spring Fling (March 13, 2020) – Canceled
- Reach Codes Workshop (March 31, 2020) – Canceled
- Senior Spring Fling (April 3, 2020) – Canceled as of March 4, 2020
- Spring Egg Hunt (April 11, 2020) – Canceled
- Night of Ideas (April 17, 2020) – Canceled
- Volunteer Appreciation Dinner (April 2020) – Canceled
- Reservations at City Facilities: The City will not accept reservations for City facilities’ rentals through May 31, 2020. We will honor existing reservations, although we strongly encourage those with reservations to cancel their gatherings considering the current situation, and the City will reimburse the reservation fee.
- Tiny Tots: Will remain open.
- Libraries: Will remain open. The Santa Clara County Library District has canceled all public library events and bookings for community rooms through the end of March. If your booking was canceled, a refund will be issued.
Los Altos Hills
According to the City’s community calendar, most events through the end of the month are cancelled.
Events through mid-April have been cancelled or postponed, according to the city’s website.
- 3/12: the Green Streets Symposium has been postponed.
- 3/13: Leadership Mountain View session at PD/FD Admin and Fire Station 4 has been canceled.
- 3/18 and 3/19: Junior Leader Information Night (teen event) is canceled
- 3/18: Council Neighborhoods Committee at Huff Elementary meeting will be postponed.
- 3/14: Community Gardens Meeting has been postponed
- 3/14: Confidential Paper Shredding event at Sunnyvale SMaRT Station is canceled.
- 3/14: Arbor Day celebration IS canceled.
- 3/16: Regular Library Board meeting has been canceled.
- 3/18: Senior Advisory Committee meeting has been canceled.
- 3/18 and 3/21: Teen job fairs have been canceled but may be rescheduled.
- 3/25 B/PAC Meeting is canceled.
- 3/30: Civility Roundtable has been postponed.
- 4/4: Volunteer Fair has been postponed.
- 4/18: City of Mountain View Earth Day Celebration has been canceled.
Senior Center: Will remain open; many specific programs will be canceled or postponed (including the 3/25 Spring Fling Dance); the nutrition program will provide to-go meals only.
Youth and recreation programs: Will continue until further notice .
Center for the Performing Arts will continue until further notice. Any changes will be posted to MVCPA.com.
Library: All Library programs have been cancelled or postponed through March 14. Go to MountainView.gov/library for more information.
The City’s events through March 31 are cancelled or postponed, according to an update on March 10.
- Rail Town Hall March Meetings: Thursday, March 12 from 6-8 p.m. at Palo Alto High School and March 26, 6-8 p.m. at the Elks Lodge
- Silver Screenings: Thursday, March 12 event
- Document Shredding Event: Saturday, March 14, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. (noon) at the SMaRT Station (Sunnyvale)
- Norooz Persian New Year Festival: Saturday, March 14 from 1-3 p.m. at the Palo Alto Art Center Auditorium
- Palo Alto Masters Meet: Saturday, March 14 at Rinconada Pool
- Landscape Design 101- How to Get Started: Saturday, March 14 from 9 a.m. -12 p.m. (noon) at Mitchell Park Library, El Palo Alto Room
- Arbor Day Festival: Sunday, March 15 from 1-5 p.m. at the Palo Alto Art Center
- Sunday Robot Show: Sunday, March 15 and Sunday, March 29
- Word on the Street Transportation Series: Thursday, March 19 from 6-9 p.m. at JLS Middle School
- Sensory Storytime: Friday, March 20
- Fire Station 3 Grand Opening and Open House: Saturday, March 21 from noon to 2 p.m. at Fire Station 3
- North Ventura Coordinated Area Plan Working Group Meeting: Tuesday, March 24 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at City Hall in the Community Room
- ADUs Community Meeting: Wednesday, March 25 at the Art Center
- Family Yoga: Friday, March 27
- Life Skills Toolkit- Cooking and Nutrition: Friday, March 27
- Minecraft Program: Sunday, March 27 at Mitchell Park Library
- Children’s Theater Cabaret Fundraiser: Saturday, March 28
- Racing Hearts 5K/10K Race: Cancelled by the event organizer, City is a co-sponsor. Sunday, March 29 at 7:30 a.m. in Downtown Palo Alto
- Sustainability Community Workshop: Tuesday, March 31 from 5:30-7 p.m. at Mitchell Park Community Center
- Family Storytime: Weekly events cancelled at Mitchell Park Library, Children’s Library, and Downtown Library locations
- Infant Lapsit Baby Storytime: Weekly events cancelled at Mitchell Park Library
- Intergenerational Storytime: Quarterly, 6-week sessions, last session on April 12. Senior and toddlers.
- Russian Storytime: Weekly events cancelled at Mitchell Park Library
- Wiggly Ones Baby Storytime: Weekly events cancelled at Rinconada Library and Mitchell Park Library
Through, at least Sunday, April 5, according to the City’s website:
- Cancellation of all programs at Santa Clara City Library.
- Limited hours for the Santa Clara Senior Center. Senior nutrition/lunch program remains available. Contact the Senior Center front desk for to-go orders, 408-615-3170.
- Cancellation of the following activities/programs and classes at the Senior Center: Bingo, Tuesday Night Dance, Evening Wood Shop, Evening Jazzercise, Ceramics, Therapeutic Recreation Programs, and any classes scheduled for after 1 p.m.
- Reduced hours for the Senior Fitness Center from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. to accommodate rigorous cleaning while incorporating County Public Health Guidance including social distancing and hand hygiene.
The following events in Santa Clara are either being canceled or postponed for the time being and may be rescheduled for a later date:
- Family Movie Night
- Junior Olympic Swim Meet (canceled)
- AAU Red North Dive Qualifying Meet (canceled)
- Wildflower Day
- Heart & Soles Run (canceled)
Several events, including a Fun Run scheduled for Sunday, March 15, are still listed on the City’s website.
Numerous cancelations, according to the City’s website:
- Senior Meals: The Senior Nutrition Program will transition to a to-go format until further notice.
Senior Programs: The following programs are canceled until further notice:
- Bagpipes and Dessert – Friday, March 13
- Bob’s Gang – Tuesday, March 17
- Wu’s Tai Chi – Fridays
- Ballroom Dancing – Mondays and Tuesdays
- Table Tennis – Mondays through Fridays
- Dancing for Health – Thursdays
- Israeli Folk Dance – Mondays
Sunnyvale Public Library
- All Library programs are canceled through March 31. Visit the Library’s Facebook and Instagram channels for virtual story times and other activities for children and teens, such as take-home craft kits.
- Evenings of Cultural Arts – Patrick Ball, March 17, CANCELED
- Sustainability Speaker Series event, Less Traffic, Better Places: How Do We Get There?, March 11 at 7 p.m., POSTPONED
- Mercury Fever Thermometer Exchange, March 11 at 10:30 a.m., POSTPONED
- Document Shredding event, March 14, POSTPONED
- Gardening with Succulents Workshop, March 21, CANCELED
- Gourmet Earth Day 50th Anniversary Celebration event, April 18, POSTPONED
Community Meetings and Workshops
- Active Transportation Plan Public Review Workshop – In-person workshop canceled. The March 12 event will be held as a webinar. Check for participation details.
- General Plan Air and Noise Element Update Workshops, March 24, CANCELED. Alternative community input options are being planned.
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Session 55, March 31, POSTPONED